As we age, our skin undergoes numerous changes, including loss of volume, wrinkles and sagging. These changes can make us look older and more tired, which can affect our confidence and self-esteem. Fortunately, dermal fillers can help restore volume and provide a more youthful appearance. In this blog, we'll explore why dermal fillers are excellent anti-aging treatments and how they work.
What are Dermal Fillers?
Dermal fillers are injectable substances that can be used to add volume to the skin, smooth out wrinkles and enhance facial features. They are typically made from hyaluronic acid, a substance that is naturally present in the body and helps hydrate and plumps up the skin. Dermal fillers can be used to treat various areas of the face, including the cheeks, lips, chin and nasolabial folds or “smile lines.”
How do Dermal Fillers Work?
Dermal fillers work by adding volume to the skin, which can help to smooth out wrinkles and restore a more youthful appearance. The hyaluronic acid in the fillers helps to attract and retain water, which can help to hydrate the skin and improve its texture. Dermal fillers, such as Juvaderm® and Restylane, can also stimulate the production of collagen, a protein that is responsible for keeping the skin firm and elastic.
Benefits of Dermal FillersThere are numerous benefits of dermal fillers as an anti-aging treatment. Some of these include:
- Non-invasive: Dermal filler treatments are non-invasive, which means that they do not require surgery or extensive downtime. Dermal fillers are not painful but can cause a slight pinch, just like any injection. However, the aesthetician can provide a local anesthetic to numb the patient’s skin and keep the patient comfortable. Patients can typically return to their normal activities immediately after the treatment.
- Natural-looking results: Dermal fillers can provide natural-looking results, which can enhance the patient's appearance without making them look "overdone."
- Long-lasting results: The results of dermal filler treatments can last anywhere from one to two years after treatment. Maintenance treatment can be scheduled after that time.
- Customizable: Dermal filler treatments can be customized to the patient's individual needs and goals. The amount of filler used and the areas treated can be adjusted to provide the desired results.
- Safe: Dermal filler treatments are generally considered safe when performed by a qualified and experienced practitioner. However, like any medical procedure, there are some risks involved, including redness, bruising and swelling at the injection site. These side effects usually go away in a few days. It is important to talk to your doctor if you are concerned about any potential side effects or allergies before getting a dermal filler treatment.
Dermal Fillers for Specific AreasDermal fillers can be used to treat various areas of the face, including the following:
- Cheeks: Dermal fillers can be used to add volume to the cheeks, which can help to restore a more youthful appearance.
- Lips: Dermal fillers can be used to add volume to the lips which can create a fuller, more youthful look.
- Chin: Dermal fillers can be used to add definition to the chin, which can help to balance the facial features.
- Nasolabial folds, the area between the nose and upper lip, or “smile lines”: Dermal fillers can be used to fill in the lines that extend from the nose to the corners of the mouth, which can help to smooth out wrinkles and create a more youthful appearance.
- Scar Removal: Dermal fillers can also be used to treat scars, particularly those caused by acne or injury. By injecting fillers into the depressed areas of the scar, the skin can be lifted and smoothed out, which can help to reduce the appearance of the scar. This treatment can be particularly effective for scars that are shallow or indented.
Choosing the Right PractitionerWhen considering a dermal filler treatment, it is important to choose the right practitioner. A qualified and experienced practitioner can help ensure that the treatment is safe and effective and that the patient achieves the desired results. Some things to look for when choosing a practitioner include:
- Qualifications: The practitioner should be a licensed medical professional, such as a physician, certified nurse injector or physician assistant.
- Experience: The practitioner should have experience performing dermal filler treatments and should be able to provide before-and-after photos of previous patients.
- Consultation: The practitioner should provide a thorough consultation, during which they discuss the patient's medical history, assess their skin and facial structure and recommend the appropriate treatment plan. They should also explain the potential risks and benefits of the treatment and answer any questions or concerns the patient may have./li>
- Type of filler: There are several types of dermal fillers available, each with its own unique properties and benefits. The practitioner should recommend the most appropriate type of filler for the patient's specific needs and goals.
- Hygiene and Safety: The practitioner should follow strict hygiene and safety protocols to minimize the risk of infection and other complications. They should use sterile equipment and materials, and dispose of them properly after use.
- Aftercare: The practitioner should provide detailed aftercare instructions to the patient, which may include avoiding certain activities or products for a specific period after treatment. The practitioner should also be available to answer any questions or concerns that the patient may have during the recovery period.
- Patient reviews: Patient reviews and feedback can be useful tools in assessing the quality of a practitioner's work. It is important to do some research and read reviews of the practitioner before making a decision.
Our experienced Certified Nurse Injectors at The Spa and Laser Center in our Norfolk, Virginia Beach and Suffolk locations are available to discuss and answer questions regarding dermal filler treatment options. Dermal filler treatment is an ideal non-invasive, nonsurgical treatment with quick, instantly-visible results.
Call The Spa and Laser Center today to schedule a consultation in our Norfolk, Virginia Beach or Suffolk location at (757) 965-7444.